Friday, November 10, 2006

Egotistical, self abosorbed....

Worst of all, he's a horrid teacher. What on earth would make anyone think they're a good teacher, when he can stand there, and cuss a student out in front of a classroom...and tell that student that they "disgust" him? What the hell? Not only did he cuss her out about it, it was for something that she did RIGHT.

A teacher shouldn't think that he knows everything, and I think a GOOD teacher is open to learning things from their students as well. A GOOD teacher inspires his students to do well, for the sake of bettering themselves, rather than out of fear of him. A GOOD teacher pushes his students to do well, and encourages them, he doesn't try to break them down and look for things to critcize them about.

“Don't try to fix the students, fix ourselves first. The good teacher makes the poor student good and the good student superior. When our students fail, we, as teachers, too, have failed.” - Marva Collins

It's become more and more apparent to me that this man is not a teacher. He teaches as if he is a dictator. He challenges his students in such a way that it appears that he delights in their failure. He wants them to fail. He cares about nothing but proving (or shall I say TRYING to prove) that he knows more than everyone. Sound like a small man complex to anyone else?

I think these things are so very apparent because this man doesnt teach me, he teaches a friend. At the same school, I am fortunate in that I have a WONDERFUL teacher. He readily admits that he doesn't know EVERYTHING, and he always welcomes new ideas. He seems to love getting questions that he has to think about. You can not get any criticizm out of this man without also hearing about what you did well. He's very encouraging...which is most likely why nobody in his class has less than an "A" average, even though his tests are challenging. He doesn't go easy on us, but he doesn't challenge us...instead he makes us want to challenge ourselves. He expects a lot from us, but he ALSO gives us the tools, the encouragement, and the confidence to achieve those high standards that he has set forth. He's never unavailable should we need help. He makes it abundantly clear that we should strive to learn more...not to please him, but to BETTER ourselves. He lets us know that he is proud of us. THAT is a good teacher. His colleage however, isn't even in the same league as him.

I hope that our program director comes to recognize this. He is also a great teacher. He is a teacher that every student at the school holds in the highest regard, because he genuinely seems, as does my instructor, that he wants to teach us, because he wants us to do well. He wants us to succeed. I WANT to take the other class, that the idiot teaches, but I won't. I cannot subject myself to that abuse. I refuse to be talked down to, when I know I am a smart person. It kills me to see him destroying these students' confidence, breaking them down, and likely discouraging many of them from even entering this noble career field.

HE disgusts me, moreso than any teacher I've ever met. He disgusts me even more than the teacher I once had who flat out called me stupid in the middle of class.

All I can say is, in my opinion, a teacher shouldn't act like he is the alpha male...he shouldn't act as if every student is there to challenge him and takeover, like he is protecting his ground. The truest measure of a good teacher is to teach the students so well that they may surpass him.

I feel bad for his students. They haven't got the confidence in themselves that they should have. They are the ones who are being hurt in all of this. Great...they paid a lot of money to be broken down and taught how to doubt themselves.

No comments: