Sunday, November 26, 2006

A Thought...

First, I want to say that if you're looking, and paying attention, you can find insightful thoughts everywhere. I found this one on my paper towels, of all places, and believe it or not, I noticed it at a time when I was feeling particularly down because it was one of those days where everything seemed to be going wrong.

You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust the sail. - Jonathan Swift

Now on to business, so to speak. I did it, I braved Wally world on Friday morning. Being a raging insomniac has it's benefits. The fact that I was still WIDE awake at 3 am helped me beat the majority of the crowds to the store. At least those who were wanting toys. For the really BIG things, like that $494 52" television, people had been there since 8pm on Thanksgiving day, they only had five of them to sell. Anyhow, I got the V.Smile and the Thomas the Tank Engine Giant Set. Sale began at 5am. I grabbed what I wanted and checked out at 5:02am. Quick, easy, and painless. I was home and in bed by 6am.

I have to retract part of what I said about Black Friday shoppers being insane. I actually ran into some really nice people there! A couple of ladies were chatting with me, and we all compared lists and talked about the different deals around the city. We chatted about the toys on sale...shared opinions of those toys. We made fun of a few crazies, and a few not so bright employees. The two things I wanted were set up such that there was a pretty god distance between them. Since I wanted the V.Smile most, I waited near that one. THREE different ladies (all mommies too!) offered to grab an extra V.Smile for me so I could wait near the Thomas stuff. I thanked them profusely, but declined. For whatever reason, there weren't any customers waiting for the Thomas set. I don't know why....any Thomas fanatic (or parent of one!) knows that the Thomas sets and accessories are REALLY expensive. For $50 you got 10 feet of track, five feet of road, Thomas, 13 of his friends, bridge, train depot, and a bunch of other accessories. The packaging states that when configured as pictured, it's about 6 feet by 8 feet! This set would cost a FORTUNE normally....at least (I'm guessing) $125. It's the motorized Thomas stuff, plastics. No, no WAY that the wooden set would ever come down that much (HA wishful thinking for sure!!!), but this set is cool too, and the snap together tracks and roads make it (I think) better for littler kids, as the tracks won't come apart as easily as the wooden ones.

That's all I have...it's way too late (early!), and I must go and fake happy at work in the morning. Off to meet my sleepy meds and my bed!

No comments: